Summer adventures are in full force around our house. Between trips, garden tending and harvesting (yay carrots, beans, and peas!), and barbeques with friends, its been a busy yet fun summer. I’m looking forward to enjoying the next few weeks of summer and the eventual transition into fall.
Week 10 Vegetables:
This week’s Round River CSA share includes: Basil & Fennel, Beans, Beets, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Celery, Cucumber, Kale, Kohlrabi, Summer Squash, Swiss Chard, and Tomatoes.
Week 10 Recipes:
Ingredients listed are from the CSA cooler, additional ingredients will be needed.
- Hot and Sour Stir Fry: uses beans, cabbage, and tomatoes. I really can’t say enough how much we love this recipe. It’s one we make all the time, usually topping with baked tofu (although it is good as is, too). While we make this one year-round, it’ll take the best now with these uber fresh veggies. The recipe is from my favorite cookbook, Moosewood Simple Suppers.
- Garden Vegetable Soup with Tiny Pasta: uses carrots, celery, greens (chard), zucchini or summer squash, and basil (I added it – tastes great!). I received this cookbook as a hand-me-down and it has some great vegetarian soup recipes. We made this again last week and it was perfect. I use chard instead of the lettuce or spinach it calls for in the recipe. You could also add beans or other veggies to it as well. Serve with fresh bread or pita.
- Cod with Fennel and Orange: uses fennel. I’ve been wanting to try this recipe ever since I saw it in Cooking Light a few years back. If you need a super quick dinner, this is worth a try!
- Veggies and Dip: use any of the veggies you like, such as broccoli, cucumber, carrots, celery, and kohlrabi. This dip is delicious while being high protein and lower in calories. To make a meal, serve with cheese and crackers for a simple dinner.
- Black Rice, Beet, and Kale Salad: uses beets and kale. Can’t wait to try this recipe – I think I’d substitute wild rice for the black rice (a la north shore).