While I don’t look forward to the end of the growing season, I do always look forward to visiting Round River Farm to pick up our last cooler at the end of the season. When we pick up our vegetables each week throughout the season, we don’t see all the hard work that has gone into growing and harvesting the produce. But, when I visit the farm and visit with David and Lise, I get a peek into that and appreciate it all that much more. Don’t forget to thank your farmer! Even if its someone you buy from at a farmers market.
Week 14 Vegetables:
This week’s Round River CSA share includes: basil, beans, beets, broccoli, carrots, chard, cucumbers, kale, lettuce, onions, peppers, spinach, summer squash, and tomatoes. We also had a little cilantro in our cooler.
Week 14 Recipes:
Ingredients listed are from the CSA cooler, additional ingredients will be needed.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup: Uses broccoli, garlic, and onion. This healthified version of broccoli cheese soup is spot on and really highlights the freshness and flavor of the broccoli. Serve with some nice bread or a roll for dipping (and maybe wiping out the last dribbles in the bowl…it’s that good).
- Rainbow Pad Thai: Uses basil, bell pepper, carrots, cilantro, onion, and zucchini. I love pad thai and this recipe calls for so many of the fresh veggies we are getting right now. If you don’t have chile paste, I usually use sriracha sauce instead. And do use fish sauce if you can! Such good flavor.
- DIY Burritos: Uses cilantro, hot peppers, lettuce, and tomatoes. Prepare your favorite taco style protein (we did homemade refried beans and vegetarian chorizo), put on a warm tortilla, top with the chopped veggies and any other toppings you like (sour cream, hot sauce, etc.) = enjoy! Super fast dinner for those busy nights.
- Skinny Spinach Lasagna: Uses basil, garlic, and spinach (top with fresh basil at the end). I also like to add sauteed mushrooms with the spinach. Delicious!
- Serve with garlic bread and this simple cucumber salad (uses cucumbers and tomatoes).
- Baked Beet and Carrot Burgers: Uses beets, carrots, garlic, and onion (and parsley if you have some from last week). This favorite recipe made an appearance already in Week 3, but I thought I’d make it again while we have the right ingredients. Summery food while we still can!
- Crockpot Indian Spiced Lentils: Uses chard (substitute chard for spinach), cilantro, garlic, and onion. Way back from Week 1, this recipe is great in the fall, too. Serve over rice or with naan.